In the early hours on Monday 1 January 2024, it was reported that a house in the village of Petham had been broken into and a car key stolen.
A man had been seen getting into the owner’s car outside, but was challenged by a passer-by and left the area on foot.
It was then reported that, around 10pm the following evening, a resident in the same village had seen a man in their garage.
The occupant challenged the man, who quickly left the area.
The man is described as around 6ft 2ins, between 20 and 30 years old, of slim build, with blue eyes. He was wearing a blue hooded top. Anyone with information about the incidents, or who has seen anything suspicious in the area, is urged to call Kent Police on 01843 222289, quoting reference 46/226619/23.
Following the incidents, residents in the area are advised to:
• Ensure windows, doors and garages are locked and any security systems are switched on when away from the house.
• Switch on any external security lighting or CCTV and report any suspicious activity as soon as possible by ringing 999.
• When out, use timer switches on lights and radios to make your home look occupied.
• Make sure items such as ladders or bins, which can be used to climb over fences or into windows, are stored away, out of view.
• Check sheds and outbuildings are secure and that property inside such buildings is not on display.