Library image

A family of three escaped from a house blaze after a candle sparked a fire in their bedroom in the early hours of Wednesday morning (2 August).

The incident happened at a house in The Street, in West Hougham, Dover, around 5:57 a.m. Four fire engines from Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) rushed to the scene and found the bedroom engulfed in flames.

The firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, used hose reel jets to put out the fire and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the house. They also checked for hotspots and ventilated the property.

The occupants, two adults and a child, managed to get out of the property before the fire crews arrived.

They were treated by paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) for minor smoke inhalation. They were also offered support and advice by KFRS’ volunteer response team.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, as a candle was reportedly left unattended on a bedside table.

KFRS has issued a safety reminder to the public about the proper use of candles.

They advise people to always place candles in suitable holders and on non-flammable surfaces, away from anything that can catch fire. They also urge people to never leave candles unattended and to make sure they are fully extinguished before leaving the room or going to sleep.

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites