A smoke alarm sounding alerted residents to a fire at their home in Canterbury in the early hours of Sunday, after a tumble dryer has caught alight overnight. 

Two fire engines rushed to a house in Copinger Close, where crews wearing breathing apparatus fought to control and extinguished the flames using hose reel jets.

The appliance outside was moved outside the premises and firefighters then used high pressured fans to clear the home of smoke. 

The two shocked residents were checked over as a precaution after inhaling smoke. 

Safer not to use appliances such as tumble dryers overnight

Following the incident, crews are reminding people that it’s safer not to use appliances such as tumble dryers overnight, or when leaving the house.

They are also urging residents to ensure there’s a working smoke alarm on each floor of their home, and to test it every week. 

By Ed

©2024 Hawkinge Gazette       -       The Hawkinge Gazette is not responsible for the content of external sites